Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Abraço


The picture above is of the man who owns and runs my favorite cafe in New York City. I was lucky enough to live a block away from this place for nearly a year, when it opened down the block from me as a tiny, standing room only coffee shop on 7th just west of 1st avenue. It's called Abraço. In addition to the most delicious coffee and, my personal favorite, almond cappuccinos, they have the most unique breakfast/sweet treats. I partook in their spanish onion frittata for breakfast for a long stretch of time once. I occasionally switched over to the pain perdu--french toast filled with fresh and sweet ricotta cheese. Their cured olive cookies and lavender-scented shortbread--also great. Not to mention the inventive, market-fresh lunches they prepare daily. Aside from their product, which I cherish greatly and miss dearly since moving to the other side of the river, I have to say that Jamie and his staff are awesome people. Very welcoming, down-to-earth, and energetic. And, it's true what they say, he's always spinning some sweet Brazilian jazz or whatnot on the store's record player.

Wow, I am just raving about this place. So, what's the occasion? I've just found out the best news... Very soon there will be an Abraco roastery just a bike ride away from me.

No comments: