Friday, July 17, 2009

Julius Shulman

The architectural photographer Julius Shulman passed away this week. This was his most famous photograph, called Case Study House #22:


About four or five years ago, I had the pleasure of visiting this famed house and meeting the eldery Mr. Shulman; an ex-boyfriend's father was partaking in a documentary about Shulman.

I've been thinking about modern houses a lot lately since my boyfriend recently received a lovely picture book on them. And MoMA, which I just visited, is hosting a few architectural exhibits, including a Young Architects special at P.S. 1.

Shulman's photograph of Richard Neutra's Kaufmann House:



Another house that's been on my mind (photo not taken by Shulman, but recently spotted in the Modern Houses book):
Falling Water by Frank Lloyd Wright

No comments: