Friday, July 3, 2009

the art of simple food



image via the seasonal gourmet

This afternoon, after a delightfully light lunch of radishes served with slices of baguette, butter, and sea salt, I was reminded of the pleasure of simple eating. The combination of these three basic ingredients with the fresh and seasonal radishes was so complimentary that I found myself stunned at how good it was. The experience reminded me of a recent trip to Barnes & Noble, which is where I usually choose to spend the free hours I have in the city sandwiched in between jobs or appointments. On my most recent visit, I found myself pouring over two books: Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and more specifically Alice Waters' The Art of Simple Food. I've been savoring over these books for awhile, especially since I cannot afford to attend any cooking classes now. These books are courses in themselves, and I cannot wait until the occasion comes in which they will be MINE!