Tuesday, May 12, 2009

my father, the hero

My style icon:
Nikki from My Father, the Hero



I remember seeing this movie in a theater like it was yesterday. I was with my dad and older brother--my mom was on a business trip and my dad had taken us out for the day, somehow convincing Elan to see my film of choice. I was 7, maybe 8 years old. As we're ascending the escalator to the main floor with all of the different theater entrances, my brother spots his then idol standing a few feet away from us with his daughter: Wayne Gretsky. I didn't know who this man was, only that he was important to Elan. He would always yell "Gretsky" and "Kings" (who I believed to be another player) when my dad took us to hockey games. So, when Elan got all riled up to see Gretsky and whispered to me to go say hi to him, I felt like it was the least I could do--he was about to sit through the girliest movie of the year with me. I skipped over to Gretsky, smiling foolishly and asked for his autograph. My doofus brother then followed. And then we watched this movie, which, to this day, I am still in love with. We were both in heaven that afternoon.

No comments: