Thursday, May 7, 2009

seven greats

Skimming through my tattered copy of last weekend's NYTimes Magazine, which has aged well while crumpled up in my heavy bag all week, I was surprised by this beautiful portfolio of 7 wonderful performers who have appeared at the Cannes Film Festival (the segment's theme). Mainly surprised because I highly admire and respect each of these individuals. Bravo, editors, I guess.


Isabelle Huppert - I once saw her perform live at BAM in Sarah Kane's 4.48 Psychosis. Watch her in The Piano Teacher. (p.s. I want to name my daughter Isabelle!)

Uma Thurman


Maggie Cheung - Watch her in Olivier Assayes' film, Irma Vep or, almost better, in Wong Kar-Wai's In the Mood for Love .


Louis Garrel - A terribly, good-looking actor.


Bjork - Dancer in the Dark is one of my absolute favorite films.


Vanessa Redgrave


Jim Jarmusch - His first feature, Stranger Than Paradise, is really in my top five favorite films. I think.

No comments: