Monday, May 18, 2009

shrimp fajitas



A spontaneous afternoon bike ride last Friday turned into a spontaneous Friday afternoon grocery shopping trip (I really wanted to test the strength of my basket!), which begot a spontaneous Mexican-themed dinner for three. My friends Luke and Sean had me over for dinner about a month ago and prepared this dish for me, which left me very impressed! I tried it on my own with a salsa verde twist.

I picked up some tomatillos, which I've been wanting to play around with for awhile, and made a simple salsa verde.
I removed the husks, cut them in half, and put them in the broiler for 5-7 minutes until their skins blackened a bit. After removing them and letting them cool, I used my food processor to blend the tomatillos along with a cup or so of chopped onions, nearly a cup of cilantro leaves, a few slices of jalapeno, a tablespoon or two of fresh lime juice, and a bit of sugar. Voila! A delicious and mild salsa.

I served my salsa verde alongside a Trader Joe's corn salsa and a more traditional tomato-and-black-bean dip with chips while I cooked the fajitas.



For the fajitas, I sliced up an onion, an orange bell pepper, and a yellow bell pepper, and mixed in about 30 or so peeled shrimp. I added a few handfuls of chopped cilantro and the juice of 2 or 3 limes, seasoned with salt and pepper, and let the mixture marinate for about an hour. Then, I cooked the fajitas in a non-stick pan on high heat for about 5 or so minutes. I served the fajitas in flour tortillas alongside the trio of salsas, sour cream, and jalapenos.

No comments: