Friday, August 28, 2009

Fall Fever

Now that my birthday is over with, I'm satiated with summer and ready for autumn to commence. Although I'm no longer a student, autumn will always carry the smell of a new year, with a changed schedule and fresh notebooks. The Jews really have the calendar year right--Rosh Hashanah, which means the head of the year, falls in September and ushers in the new year as I follow it. It's too cold in January for me to feel any sort of thrill towards the technically new year.

Anyway, the autumn bug has hit me. Occasionally, I'll catch myself looking at my cardigans and jackets longingly. I'm sending my boots out to be fixed. I've even started browsing some sites to check out the new fall digs, mainly because I received a lovely gift certificate to Opening Ceremony from my folks. I was swooning this morning looking at the perfect muted fall dresses. Liebemarlene just reminded me about Permanent Vacation, whose site I haven't checked out in a few months and who have just released images from their fall collection. I've wanted one of their dresses for awhile, maybe now 'tis the season to buy! But which?

My autumn excitement really kicked in with the arrival of the fall preview issue of New York Magazine. After devouring the calender of new releases and events, I neurotically went back with a pen to ink up the issue with my choices for the fall, as if I'm going to keep this already tattered issue around to guide me through the coming months. This is what caught the attention of my erratic pen:
+ 9/3 - The Giants host a (preseason) Super Bowl rematch with the Patriots. (Since dating a sport addict, I've kind of fallen in love with the ritualistic tradition of football Sundays. Especially when it's cold outside, there's nothing better than spending a Sunday on a couch, surrounded my food and people.)
+9/12 - Phillip Seymour Hoffman playing Iago in the Public Theatre's Othello
+9/28 - Yom Kippur. (Last year we had a supreme feast. I wonder what this year will bring.)
+10/3 - Zac Pelaccio's Williamsburg BBQ pit Fatty 'Cue should finally open this month.
+10/13 - "Global Kitchen: The Magic of Pickling" at the American Museum of Natural History
+10/17 - Gourmet's Adventures with Ruth, hosted by Ruth Reichl, premiere on PBS.
+10/26 - David Chang's Momofuku Cookbook comes out tomorrow. (Really, New York Magazine? Nothing else special about today?)
+11/2 - Everything related to Jonathan Safran Foer's eating habits will be illuminated: his investigative-scientific-philosophical memoir, Eating Animals, is released.
+11/8 - From your house to Bauhaus at their house: MoMA's epic "Bauhaus 1919-1933: Workshops for Modernity" opens tonight.
+11/24 - The Pixies play the second of the three concerts--it's Doolittle, all the way through--at the Hammerstein Ballroom.
+11/25 - Rob Marshall's Nine, a Fellini-inspired musical drama starring Daniel Day-Lewis is released.

I can't wait to go to movies, museums, concerts, and plays, then walk home breathing in the crisp autumn air with hints of that wood-log winter smell, wearing my boots and tights and dresses and jackets. Woohoo!

P.S. Despite my eagerness for fall, I'm secretly glad we have three weeks of summer left, just enough time for a few more pool parties, BBQs, and a camping trip!

No comments: