Monday, September 14, 2009

CSA overload




After a long weekend of incessant and boring work, today proved to be quite a relief. I had nothing dull to do today, just a day's worth of enjoyable activities.

I woke up really early for some reason, then Billy and I took of by 10 AM for a walk through Central Park and the Upper West Side, eventually getting breakfast at a sweet little place. Then I headed down to USQ for a meeting, then back to my apartment for some final camping planning and grocery organizing. After 2 hours devoted to that, I headed over to bridget to participate in my first volunteer shift at my CSA. Lucky for me, Jessica was also working that night and I hadn't seen her in awhile, so it was a good opportunity to catch up, shift some crates around, re-stock piles of vegetables, and intake a glass of wine with some cheese. I stationed myself in front of the herbs, which was very pleasant.


The best part of the night, however, was the loot we got to go home with at the end. It turns out that approximately 15 people didn't show up to pick up their shares this evening, so after a crate was set aside for Bridget (the winebar/distribution center) and another for the soup kitchen delivery, the rest of us volunteers got to take home as much as we could carry. This meant that I got the equivalent of nearly 3 shares tonight! It was a pain to carry home and my shoulders are screaming at me, but it was worth it because I shaved off some money off of our camping grocery list since I was able to bring home so many goods. In case you don't understand how stocked my kitchen is right now, let me break it down for you.

17 onions (red, white, and yellow)
11 potatoes
10 apples
7 zucchini
5 nectarines
4 pears
3 heads Boston lettuce
3 bunches basil
2 bunches radishes
2 bunches beets
2 bunches carrots
2 bunches cilantro
2 bunches mint
2 1/2 dozen eggs


I could open a little larder in my loft. I'd call it Farmarina.

3 comments:

Jay said...

Larder? Girl, you could set up a farm stand! Offer up some homemade lemonade, and I'll be your first customer!

Unknown said...

We are overflowing in our CSA week to week. However, we've definitaly gotten creative with using all our fruits and veggies. You'd be surprised.. I've learned to cook with fruit!

marina said...

Tell me what you're making with all of your fruit!