Monday, October 29, 2007

back forty

There's a new and notable restaurant in the East Village that i tried out for myself this past weekend. it's called Back Forty and it rests on Avenue B between 11th and 12th streets. Although the decor is distinguishedly modern and clean for the neighborhood, the air of the restaurant is not the slightest bit pretentious and the simple, comfort food-filled menu confirms this. Although I was dying to try the Maine-bacon-and-shrimp-beignets, my detox diet prevented me from doing so. However, I did get to sample my friend's Grass-fed Burger with Farmhouse Cheddar and homemade ketchup, and it was remarkable. After having stayed away from beef for a few weeks, I was miraculously satisfied with my two small bites of this burger. I opted for the Whole Grilled Catskill Trout, which was lean, flavorful, and appeared to be a house favorite (I saw it served to almost every table.) Although tempted by the dessert list, which includes Apple Cider Doughnuts and a Root Beer Float. On the other hand, we did indulge with cocktails--I had the Concord fizz (which reminds me of a similar favorite of mine from Freeman's, the Cuzco Fizz--also featuring muddled grapes) and my friend sampled the strong but sweet Grapefruit Julep.

All and all, I was more than satisfied with my outing to this new neighborhood locale and would love to return, hopefully soon before the word spreads and a queue starts emerging at the door.

You can also read recent reviews on Back forty on Eater and NYMag, and sample the menu for yourself here.

Back Forty
190 Avenue B (11th & 12th)
212-388-1990

No comments: